How To Print Card Verses Using Microsoft Word
- You need to print out some words for a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" inch card.
- You cut your paper down to 4" x 5 1/4" and your printer will accept it.
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Select File, Page Setup.
- Change the left margin to 0.75". Most printers have a minimum margin that should be less than this amount. If you know your printer's value, you can use that value instead.
- Change the right margin to the same value used for the left margin.
- Click on the paper tab.
- Change paper size drop down to custom.
- Change width to 4".
- Change height to 5.25".
- Click OK button at bottom.
- Change the font, size and color as desired. Font size is expressed in points. One point equals 1/72 of an inch. So 36 points is 36/72 or 1/2 inch high. 18 points is 1/4 inch high.
- Turn on centering.
- Type verse for inside of card.
- Select File, Print Preview. This will show you a preview of the final printed page.
- Close preview and adjust as necessary. To move the words down, the easiest thing to do is simply add blank lines at the top of the words. If the words don't fit, adjust the line breaks or decrease the size of the font.
- Replace the printer's normal supply of paper with cardstock you have cut down to 4" x 5.25".
- The card may not print perfectly. You may want to use some scrap or standard printer paper on the first few tries. On some printers the left margin does not line up exactly with the margin of the paper. If yours is off and you need the words to be perfectly centered, measure how much off center the words appear to be. Move both margins by that amount to move the text over and still keep it centered. Another trick is you may need to go in the printer preferences on the print dialog and tell your printer it has 4" x 5.25" paper to keep it from complaining that you are not using the correct size paper. Each printer will vary and you will have to figure out the tweaks needed for your printer.